I remember from our January visit
that tiny cockroaches got everywhere in the self-catering apartment we stayed
in, but they were small and I put it down to our choice of budget
accommodation. It never occurred to me that these wee beasties were just babies
and that they grow to the size of the mouth of a pint glass and even longer if
you count their feelers. This is about two-thirds of the actual size.
Mosquitos also abound, but it’s definitely worse if you are near water.
In the holiday villa we rented a few weeks ago there was a pool and this seemed
to invite mosquitos in droves. Unfortunately we didn’t see them, just the bites
they left. These take forever to heal and are itchy for about a week. I have
had several on me including two on my face,
whilst they seem to prefer Dominick’s feet.
You can’t really avoid them, but you can stay covered up (I am seriously
considering adopting the hijab if I get anymore on my face!) although that’s
not really ideal when it gets up to 80F in the day and doesn’t drop below 72F
at night and there is no air conditioning apart from in some of the
supermarkets. You can also buy wristbands which emit citrus odours to deter them,
but they are only really efficient if you wear them on each wrist and ankle. Or
you can spray every four hours with insect repellent and hope for the best. It
doesn’t seem like the locals get bitten as much as us, so we’re hoping that we
get some kind of immunity after so many weeks/bites.
The biggest bane are the flies
– you can’t eat outside anywhere without having swarms of them landing on you
and your food and they do not take a siesta either so it makes sunbathing
impossible. I am so glad we brought our electronic fly swatters! Mysteriously
as the sun sets at 6 they all vanish and so eating out in the evening is the
best time.
Not all the creatures cause a nuisance though – the butterflies and dragon
flies are enormous and beautiful. Lizards are common to spot around the apartment and help with the flies. The birds and chipmunks are relatively
unafraid of people and will even eat from your hand in some places.
There are no sheep or cows or
really much in the way of agricultural farming because the island is mostly
desert and there is nowhere for them to graze. The most common sight are the
goats. We took an off road journey and found a dog herding them (see below),
which was rather odd, but not another human in sight for miles. The goats
provide milk, cheese and meat and for the island and roam freely throughout the
mountains.
Best of all though F is for Fish and
this is in glorious tasty abundance. I’ve never enjoyed such delicious prawns,
shellfish, sea bass, dorado, snapper and tuna mostly caught fresh on the shores
that morning. Fish has quickly replaced my life-time favourite of fillet steak.
It is the staple, and really only other available, protein that is not imported
from Spain or further afield. Luckily we’re both fans of fish and goats cheese!
Overall flies and fish win out
over “mice and men” for me. I realise that there is no complete freedom from
challenges and stresses, but what I can do is choose which ones I prefer to be
fettered by and adapt to them.

No comments:
Post a Comment